Sunday, September 11, 2011

How to make a chalkboard



I love schooling my kids at home, but I don't want our home looking like a classroom. That's why I love ideas that camouflage our school space to into our everyday living space.

Here's one great idea inspired by this article on MarthaStewart.com: a chalkboard! A vintage style chalkboard is just my style. But, in case you hadn't noticed, chalkboards are really hard to come by these days. So I decided to make my own.


 I used Rust-oleum Specialty Chalkboard paint I found at Home Depot. You choose from one the these fun colors, and they tint the paint for you right in the store.

 This is a cheap-o frame I bought at Ikea.
 I used the particle-board backing on the frame for my chalkboard.



Since we usually end up doing most of our schoolwork at the dining room table, the chalkboard is the perfect surface for brainstorming and sharing ideas. It also doubles as a welcome board for out-of-town-guests or a menu board.

Chalkboard paint is designed to be applied directly onto the wall and many other kinds of surfaces, so it's fun to get creative!

Happy Homegrowing!

-Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment